Porgy & Bess
by George Gershwin
- Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 7:30 pm
$25 – $65 can be purchased
through the PlayhouseSquare box office
or by calling 216 241 6000 or 866 546 1353.
About the Production
Fully staged with full orchestra under the baton of Maestro Darwin Aquino.
Complete with soloists, chorus, dance, costumes, and sets.
Don’t miss this spectacular classic of American art at its best.
Approximately 3 hours (including 2 intermissions).
- Porgy, a disabled beggar: Jonathan Stuckey, bass-baritone
- Bess, Crown's girl: Karen Clark-Green, soprano
- Crown, a tough stevedore: Brian Keith Johnson, baritone
- Sportin' Life, a dope peddler: Matthew Jones, tenor
- Robbins, an inhabitant of Catfish Row: Governor Harris, tenor
- Serena, Robbins' wife: Lauren Wright, soprano
- Jake, a fisherman: James Binion, baritone
- Clara, Jake's wife: Ashlee Foreman, soprano
- Maria, keeper of the cook-shop: Angeleina Valentine, contralto
- Mingo: Michael J. Ward, tenor
- Peter, the honeyman: Mist’a Craig, tenor
- Lily, Peter's wife: Sierra McCorvey, soprano
- Annie: Hope Ezell, mezzo-soprano
- Strawberry woman: Sierra McCorvey, mezzo-soprano
- Jim, a cotton picker: Ryan Dearon, baritone
- Undertaker: Ryan Dearon, baritone
- Nelson: Mist’a Craig, tenor
- Crab man: Frederick Taylor, tenor
- Detective: Jeremy Gilpatric, spoken
- 1st Policeman: Julian Sobieski, spoken
- Coroner: Julian Sobieski, spoken
- 2nd Policeman: John Roskos, spoken
About the Opera
Porgy and Bess is the most famous and likely the best American opera ever created.
The Cleveland Opera brings to life the original opera score version of Porgy and Bess, composed by George Gershwin to the libretto by the author DuBose Heyward and lyricist Ira Gershwin.
Come hear America’s famous songs:
- “A Woman Is A Sometime Thing,”
- “My Man’s Gone Now,”
- “I Got Plenty of O’ Nuttin’,”
- “I Ain’ Got No Shame,”
- “What You Want Wid Bess,”
- “Oh, Doctor Jesus,”
- “I Loves You, Porgy,”
- “A Red Headed Woman,”
- “There’s A Boat Dat’s Leavin’ Soon For New York,”
- “Oh Lawd, I’m On My Way”
and many other heartfelt musical moments.