Porgy & Bess
by George Gershwin
- Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 7:30 pm
$25 – $65 can be purchased
through the PlayhouseSquare box office
or by calling 216 241 6000 or 866 546 1353.
About the Production
Fully staged with full orchestra.
Complete with soloists, chorus, dance, costumes, and sets.
Don’t miss this spectacular classic of American art at its best.
Approximately 3 hours (including 2 intermissions).
- Jonathan Stuckey, bass-baritone - Porgy, a disabled beggar
- Karen Clark Green, soprano - Bess, Crown's girl
- Brian Keith Johnson, baritone - Crown, a tough stevedore
- Matthew Jones, tenor - Sportin' Life, a dope peddler
- Governor Harris, tenor - Robbins, an inhabitant of Catfish Row
- Lauren Harris, soprano - Serena, Robbins' wife
- James Binion, baritone - Jake, a fisherman
- Malika Turner, mezzo-soprano - Maria, keeper of the cook-shop
- Michael Ward, tenor - Mingo
About the Opera
Porgy and Bess is the most famous and likely the best American opera ever created. The Cleveland Opera brings to life the original opera version of Porgy and Bess, composed by George Gershwin to the libretto by the author DuBose Heyward and lyricist Ira Gershwin. Come hear America’s famous songs: “Summertime,” “A Woman Is A Sometime Thing,” “My Man’s Gone Now,” “I Got Plenty of O’ Nuttin’,” “I Ain’ Got No Shame,” “What You Want Wid Bess,” “Oh, Doctor Jesus,” “I Loves You, Porgy,” “A Red Headed Woman,” “There’s A Boat Dat’s Leavin’ Soon For New York,” “Oh Lawd, I’m On My Way” and many other heartfelt musical moments.