The Haunted Manor
by Stanisław Moniuszko
- Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 7:30 pm
A Special Appearance
This fully-staged production will feature the Cleveland Ballet for the famous "Mazur" choreographed by Gladisa Guadalupe.
$25 – $65 can be purchased
through the PlayhouseSquare box office
or by calling 216 241 6000 or 866 546 1353.
50% discount for childer and students — use promo code MANOR
About the Opera
The Haunted Manor (Straszny dwór) composed by the Polish composer Stanisław Moniuszko to the libretto by Jan Chęciński was premiered in 1865 in The Grand Opera in Warsaw. The opera combines a romance and a comedy expressed through Polish dance-style music. It is considered Moniuszko's best opera, and also the greatest among all 19th-century Polish opera scores.
The opera is one of the most popular opera scores in Poland, praised for imaginative harmonies, excellent construction of group scenes, subtle but colorful instrumentation, a melodic inventiveness of great sophistication, the composer's individual operatic drama style, integration of Polish songs and dances (mazur, polonez, kujawiak, oberek, krakowiak), and finally, the captivating Polish atmosphere.
About the Production
This original production is fully staged and costumed, sung in Polish with English translation projected. With The Cleveland Opera Orchestra under the baton of Maestro Grzegorz Nowak.
About the Conductor
A conductor of world-wide recognition, Maestro Grzegorz Nowak is Permanent Associate Conductor of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London, Principal Conductor of The Cleveland Opera, and Music Director of The Grand National Opera (Teatr Wielki) in Warsaw, Poland, one of the largest opera houses in the world. Continue reading
About the Story
The story represents an idyllic view of life in a Polish country manor house thwarted by the need of two young men, Stefan and Zbigniew, to defend their homeland against an invasion of an enemy; hence their oath never to marry. But, as they meet two lovely, extraordinary women, Hanna and Jadwiga, their brazen steadfastness is melted by the fire of their hearts. Other notable roles include Miecznik (baritone), Cześnikowa (mezzo-soprano), Skołuba (bass), Damazy (tenor), Maciej (baritone) and others, enhanced with magnificent choruses and ballet, all in historic Polish costumes. Mingling comedy and pathos, The Haunted Manor is a brilliant example of opera semiseria.
- Francisco X. Prado, baritone - Miecznik, the Count
- Dorota Sobieska, soprano - Hanna, Miecznik's daughter and sister of Jadwiga
- Justyna Giermola, soprano - Jadwiga, Miecznik's daughter and sister of Hanna
- Mikhail Urusov, tenor - Stefan, a Chevalier and brother of Zbigniew
- Mikhail Smigelski, bass - Zbigniew, a Chevalier and brother of Stefan
- Christina Carr, mezzo-soprano - Cześnikowa, the Chamberlain's wife & aunt of the brothers
- Albert Niedel, baritone - Maciej, attendant to the brothers
- Paweł Izdebski, bass - Skołuba, Miecznik's old comrade and majordomo
- Andrzej Stec, tenor - Pan Damazy, a dandy
- Nicole Wong, soprano - Marta, housekeeper for the brothers
- Jeremy Gilpatric, baritone - Grześ, a farm hand
- Agnieszka Bieniek, mezzo-soprano - Staruszka, an old woman